Saturday, June 8, 2013

Daxon says Shhhh! - by Linda Evans Davis

I spent the last two days painting my grandnephew in soft pastel. He is one of a pair of twins. Although people who don't know them may think they look alike, they are yin and yang to each other and best buddies. Daxon is the little engineer -- quiet and brilliantly observant. His wheels are constantly turning in his head as he figures out how things work. I will be painting his brother as well, who is a little firecracker. 

This has been a breakthrough piece for me. I have been struggling a little this month as I have been incorporating new, very soft pastels into my work. I had to learn not to be so heavy handed. For some reason with this piece I started to get the hang of it, and I'm starting to understand why the "buttery" brands are so coveted by my fellow pastelists.

I love painting kids in pastel, so don't hesitate to email me if you'd like to commission a portrait (Linda.evans.davis@gmail.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment